27 March 2009

Crafty.

I'm feeling particularly crafty these last few weeks. My massive brain for planning and plotting has been fragmented further into outsourcing people who charge too much.

This all began with wedding planning. Mom insisted that I cater the entire thing and I demanded that I be given the option to cook for my 75 guests and eliminate the price tag. I can cook Mexican food as easily as they can! So, middle ground: we're catering main entrees, but I'm making salsa, buying chips from a mass distributor and bringing in the cheeses, sour cream, guacamole, etc. for a fraction of the cost.

Similarly, when we planned on taking people out to eat and were questioning the price tag, the opportunity to grill at home pool side became an option. I can feed ten people gourmet food and beverage for $100 when it would cost like $3-400 out. Cha-Ching!

The food deal has been a big one. I've been trying to branch out of my typical cooking regime with new crafty dishes. I've planted an herb garden
IMG_0854.JPG

and have been harvesting for freshness in these new dishes. My favorite new discover is Barilla pasta in cappellini, tiny tiny threads of pasta that go exceptionally well in Asian stir fry with noodles. Do it!

IMG_7961.JPG


I keep approaching dinner unwilling to replicate the previous night, wanting something very specific I haven't ever done before, and somehow concocting something close to it with limited materials.

...but back to wedding business, I just managed to assemble 80 gift bags for my guests for $100--I painted the mini-maracas
IMG_0850.JPG

ordered pounds of mexican candy, cactus shot glasses and managed to snag white boxes with custom labels for next to nothing.

Exhausting. I will get my second wind tomorrow morning when the Farmer's Market returns! Swooon!

IMG_0166.JPG


Let the "what can I do with this!?" season begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment